The Mediative team’s research on the new search engine results pages (SERP) and what they wanted to find out:
- Where on the SERP do searchers look and click the most?
- How important is the location of a listing to win views and clicks from searchers?
- How does the complex SERP affect a strategy to be found and seen by potential customers?
- How has click activity per listing position changed with the introduction of Google’s new SERP elements?
What Mediative Found Out about Google SERPs
Mediative recently published the results of their latest eye-tracking study where they zeroed in on how users interact with Google search results pages (Google SERPs) in an effort to identify real opportunities for SEO, PPC and social media branding especially as it relates to click-through rates. What they found is enlightening and corresponds to what I’m seeing with some of my clients.
What is the Golden Triangle Heat Map For and Does it Help with Google SERPs?
Google has added more search elements that impact how users view and click thus affecting Google SERPs:
- Knowledge Graph – answers to fact based searches
- Carousel – a strip of images at the top along with ratings
- Local Listings – grouped together from 2 to 7 listings
- Organic and sponsored listings – traditional Google search listings