This is a good article discussing a recent study on internet users interaction with search results.
The Mediative team’s research on the new search engine results pages (SERP) and what they wanted to find out:
- Where on the SERP do searchers look and click the most?
- How important is the location of a listing to win views and clicks from searchers?
- How does the complex SERP affect a strategy to be found and seen by potential customers?
- How has click activity per listing position changed with the introduction of Google’s new SERP elements?
A few observations:
- PPC or sponsored listings have continued to gain visibility and clicks regardless of the different SERPs and therefore can be a worthy investment when there is fierce competition for the top organic spot.
- Utilizing schema markup to enhance your organic search listings can bring more traffic to your site.
- Optimizing your Google+ Local or Google My Business page can improve your visibility in the Local Listings
- Organic positions 1-4 bring valuable traffic, below these positions the traffic is not dependable
- Avoid the right rail, if possible, with your Adwords campaign
- Knowing your ideal prospect well is critical